Merlin provides independents the means to own their future. Merlin is a member led, music focused organisation providing digital music licensing for independents across the globe. Members benefit from Merlin’s premium deals, but work directly with key digital partners. Our membership consists of independent labels, distributors, and other rights-holders, representing tens of thousands of labels and hundreds of thousands of artists from every country in the world. Merlin works collaboratively with our digital partners, delivers value back to those digital partners, and seeks to drive other incremental benefits to our members.
Merlin’s approach has enabled our membership to grow to represent 15% of the global market share. Merlin’s membership includes independents such as Altafonte, Amuse, Armada Music, AudioSalad, AVL Group (including CD Baby, DashGo and FUGA), Beggars Group, Cinq Music Group,
Dim Mak, DistroKid, Domino, Epitaph Records, Foundation Media, Freeme Digital, IDOL, Kontor New Media, Mad Decent, MNRK Music Group, Monstercat, Mushroom Music, Ninja Tune, ONErpm, [PIAS], Pony Canyon, Redeye, Secret City, Secretly, Symphonic Distribution, Sub Pop, Vydia, and hundreds more.
Merlin has deals with nearly 40 digital services, including partners like Adaptr, Apple, AWA, Boomplay, Deezer, Facebook/Instagram, JioSaavn, JOOX, KKBox, NetEase, Pandora, Peloton, SberZvuk, Snap, SoundCloud, Spotify, Tencent, TikTok, TREBEL, Triller, Twitch, UMA, Yandex, YouTube Music, and many other global, regional and strategic partners, as well as being in conversations with dozens more.
Merlin has resources in London, New York, North Carolina, the Netherlands, and Tokyo.
This is a full-time role based in London and reports into the Head of Finance. We are seeking an individual with an Accounting/Finance degree, preferably studying towards ACA, ACCA or CIMA. AAT trainees with direct work experience will also be considered. We would also prefer a candidate with music industry experience.
This is a role for an enthusiastic individual who wants to operate in a small, but tight knit finance team. You will work closely with the reporting team and other departments within a company operating at a global level. Merlin pays Royalties monthly, so it is a fast-paced but fun environment. This is a full-time role based in London (Covent Garden offices) and will report into the Head of Finance Shared areas of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Bank reconciliations for all accounts on a weekly basis – preparation of month end balance sheet reconciliations report and reconciliation of credit card accounts.
- Preparing authorised payments for all trade creditors
- Ensuring all expense creditors/accounts payable are dealt with appropriately, provide timely and accurate invoices and ensure they are posted to general ledger, and setup new authorised vendors
- Reconciling intercompany accounts, with responsibility for raising intercompany invoices
- Reconciling and posting petty cash and staff expenses
- Assist general accounting tasks
- Assist in raising monthly self-bill invoices based on royalties received/reconcile all related nominal ledger accounts if required
- Assist in month end reporting — accruals and prepayments
- Budget to actual variance investigation
- Ad hoc duties supporting the Finance team when required
- Experience with Accounts package desirable, including Sage and Sage Intelligence — although training will be provided it would be desirable to be familiar with this software
- Multicurrency calculations and transactions working with USD/EURO/GBP
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel (with pivot tables and v-lookup required)
- Attention to detail and is confident working with numbers
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work independently and manage your workload
- Passion for music and supporting independents
- Ability to work under pressure